Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tuckerman's Ravine

70 degrees of Spring arrived this weekend and so off it was to Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington for another ascent to the bowl. I don't think it could have been anymore beautiful of a day. I was joined by my fellow adventurer Thom and three other friends from our ski club. The hike up the trail was worth a good sweat and some suntan lotion. I think the twelve pack of Pabst, water, Gatorade, and food added to my backpack's sweat factor. The bowl was packed with thousands of outdoor enthusiasts enjoying their skis, boards, hikes, the sun, food, and camaraderie, and at times displaying their Kodak courage for the crowd to appreciative oohs and aahs. While my friends chose to hike up and ski down the lobster claw, I sat on my pack, had lunch and a beer and enjoyed the sun. That day, I saw no reward for the hour hike up to the headwall rim. When I look back on how nice the snow was that day, I probably should have suffered the hike to relish the ride down. Next time.

On a different outdoors note.... As we were skiing down the Sherburne Trail, after ourselves barely missing the river the melt has started to expose in spots, we were hastened off the path by a very frantic scream for help. We went through the trees and came upon a skier who had fallen through the snow and into a raging creek and was being sucked under a snow bridge with a tree blocking the exit on the other side. He was neck deep and barely hanging on with one other person keeping him from going completely under. I took off my skies and immediately post holed through the snow with one leg into the water and then couldn't move. Thom took his skis off and was going to jump in and try to help the other guy (not a bright idea as I told him later). At the same time more people arrived, one with a rope which was useless, and made a chain to pull him out. Since I was stuck and in no apparent danger, I took a few pictures and a video, but felt like I was interloping and so put my camera away. The lucky kid could not move his legs when he got out as they were extremely chilled. It was a very life or death situation that ended well.

And thankfully, the ski to the Pinkham lot was less eventful and full of good skiing and smiles.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home